Friday, September 24, 2010

Crab Apple Jelly Day


Today is another rainy day in Paradise. Even the cat won't go outside. But I braved the elements to attend the last day of the Famer's market. I can't believe it is the end of summer already. The leaves are yellow and red, and all falling to the ground.

And the crab apples are red and shiney. What better way to spend a rainy afternoon than making crab apple jelly. Ok, so how do I do that?

Well a google search leads me to the Canadian Living website. Who can go wrong with Canadian Living? I've been reading the magazine since I was a little kid.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/crab_apple_jelly.php

We learned how hard our water was when we made the Saskatoon Berry Jam a few weeks ago, so this time I put the vinegar in the water with the jars and lids to prevent the scaling. And it worked because the jars aren't nearly as scaley as they were last time.

The jars are now filled and sealed and they look absolutely beautiful. The pink is a lovely colour. (unfortunately the stove is also this colour now since I boiled over... and some browns since I burnt the sugar on the stove...) But at least the jelly is wonderful :)

No comments: