Saturday, March 24, 2012

Craft time at the cabin


The local Arts and Crafts council put on a "Rags To Rugs" rug making open house in February.  Various ladies throughout the community brought different projects they had made.  There was hook rugging, weaving - on regular looms, small looms and hoolahoop looms, knitted rugs, toothbrush rugs, and braided rugs. All were made out of old clothes or other scrap material.  There were quite a few beautiful and interesting rugs.  A lot of people showed up to check out all the various projects.

Every Thursday night since we've been able to gather at the old bank building and learn how to make some of the different rugs.

The first rug that I made was a toothbrush rug made out of an old pair of courdroy pants I had and some pj pants of Mark's.  These materials made a thick rug which is super comfortable and cozy on the feet.  This rug is now in front of our bathroom sink so our feet stay warm when we brush our teeth.






One of the rug ladies brought a lot of fabric for people to use - a donation from an ex-quilter.  I thought the colours were fun so for my second rug I tried to go with more of a rainbow theme.  This rug is made with thinner fabric than the first but the colours make me smile.  I also worked on this one last weekend at the campfire - this is a great craft for outside.




After doing 2 oval rugs, I decided to up the ante (as per Mark's suggestion).  I've started a Star-shapped toothbrush rug.  It is still tiny, but so far it has a distinct star shape. 





We also learned how to make willow baskets on one of the Thursday evenings.  Late February was the ideal time for getting the sticks, and Charlotte brought a whole bunch to show us how to make the baskets.  It took me a couple of weeks to make this one.  I think it will be a great yarn basket.





In the world of crochet, I've made a few new dish cloths this past month.  These flower shapped dishcloths have a scrubby center and cotton petals.  Mark thinks they are great for washing the dishes. (I'm quite happy to make him the cloths if he does the dishes)

Don't worry Dad.  I haven't forgotten you.  I'm still working on your mittens.  Hopefully you'll have them by the time next winter comes.









As for my next projects - well, I'm going to make a sky scarf  ( a really cool project where you knit one row each day in colours corresponding to the sky/weather outside - Sky Scarf),  a dwarf balaclava for Mark, and  well, the list goes on and on....  :)


No comments: